Thursday, October 23, 2008

Scrabble



I have a confession to make. I just discovered Online Scrabble last Friday & have been hooked on it since! So much so that I have stopped looking through all the news websites (as I normally would do first thing in the morning at work), stopped watching TV (even Ugly Betty & Desperate Housewives are not so exciting any more!) and neglected my blog (sorry for not updating!!).

Well, there is this thing about Scrabble that is very special to me. I was never good at sports in school. Apart from being in the school tennis team (I was at best, mediocre. Really), I was what people would call "kaki bangku" in school (Note: I would fail miserably in all the sports means test except for long jump). Memang betul-betul hopeless. 

Then I discovered Scrabble at university. I started playing competitive Scrabble & won a few tournaments. The ones I remember most were the inter-university competitions & the Malaysia-Singapore Games. I had so much fun & finally I found something that I was quite good at (not excellent - but not too bad either). But unfortunately I stopped playing Scrabble since I left university. That was 16 years ago.

So, when I found Scrabble Online last week - I got so excited!! Macam budak-budak dapat PS2 Game baru. You can play with anyone in the world! Wow! There is immediate verification on words & you can check all the 2-letter words available. You can invite friends to play, challenge anyone from anywhere & they keep statistics on all your scores! Wonderful!

Well, I have gotten over the excitement of discovering something new with Online Scrabble. Now I just play with my friend Ramona who used to be my room-mate when I was doing A-Levels in England. I couldn't have chosen a worse person to challenge: Mona is one of the smartest people I have ever met in my life: She did a Math Degree in Oxford University & she is now working from home as a translator. Read: English Translator (working with words every day. I must be crazy!). She has won 2 of the 3 games we played. We are on the 4th game & she scored 50 bonus points with her first word (when you use all your 7 tiles at once, you score 50 bonus points). Sigh... Wish me luck!

Why don't you try out Online Scrabble! It's in Facebook. I highly recommend it!

(^_^)

12 comments:

caramel said...

Mornin...lama dah u tak update blog baru kini kutahu kenapa....scrabble rupanye punya angkara.......bila u told me last week about the online scrabble it kinda bring back old memories.my nephew Anaz memang giler suke main scrabble..he is a very competitive person...and i mean very competitive.....dia akan paksa semua org main dengan dia and if he looses dia akan force u to play again and again sampai dia menang...so much so that u actually allow him to win....one thing good is that his english is so so so good now...Just like urs Dilla....now i know the secret..

Adillah A Nordin said...

Hi Raha,
Scrabble actually helps increase your vocab. It's good fun! You should try playing it online!
Nanti balik Melaka call tau..

caramel said...

Dilla....iwould certainly call....Butik Kaseh on Saturday k...bab masa tu we play by ear k.....

.nasyer. said...

OMG I love Scrabbles too! And somehow, like you, I was never good at sports. Except badminton, bowling and chess. Wait, hold on, chess wasn't a sport now was it? Owh, I guess it's not. My bad. Hehehe

Anyways, can u give me the website of this Online Scrabble? Coz I'm on my end-of-sem hols, and I really really have nothing to do. I couldn't be sleeping all day long! And when I'm bored I started to Googled up stupid things, like my name, and everyone's name in the family. Hahaha :)

<3
Ngah

Leona Raisin said...

If you like Scrabble you'll love that ouijas yield sulfur.

Asmadiana Alias said...

kak, how to play it la? macam best je...nak jugak, nak jugak....

Adillah A Nordin said...

Hi Nurul & Diana,
Do you have a Facebook account? Just go to www.facebook.com, lepas tu create an account.

Then I will invite you to play Scrabble ok?

:-)

Asmadiana Alias said...

kak, i do have facebook acc...

Adillah A Nordin said...

Nana,
Nanti invite me to be your friend on Facebook ok?

Asmadiana Alias said...

kak, already invite...

Fao said...

dilla, houssam ada ajak i main scrabble, so i layanlah dia nak main kan, i pun bukan nya pandai..and i thought dia tahu main.... pas tu tetiba dia susun alphabet dia macam tangga pulak...aisay...rupanya dia tak pernah main scrabble, pas tu tak caya kat i bila i cakap tak boleh main cam tu!

Adillah A Nordin said...

Hi Fao!
I pernah tengok boardgame baru kat ToysRus yang boleh stack the tiles tapi tak pernah pulak main!
Kata kat Houssam, tak caya tengok the Rules kat Online Scrabble :-)
Thanks for visiting my blog all the way from France..

(^_^)