Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My Big Sista

Kak Long - post op


My eldest sister Marlin is very special. We call her Kak Long. She is a very positive and loving person who always look at the brighter side of everything and the good side of everyone. Kak Long loves to give us presents, not just for special occasions, but for no occasion at all - except to remind us how special our relationship is.

I now realize that Kak Long has been such a huge influence in my life. As we grew up, it was Kak Long and Kak Ngah who reminded us time and again to always study hard and excel, and to show Apak that girls are just as good as boys, if not better (Apak always wanted a boy - and he had 7 girls before finally getting his only son, my brother Andy). Both of them used to round us up (there were only 5 of us then) and motivate us. Kak Long was such a big motivator. She still is.

When Mak followed Apak to London for a whole year and we were left in the care of Nenek, Kak Long and Kak Ngah held the fort for us and made sure that we stayed close together. I was only 5 then. But I can vividly remember the 5 of us holding hands when we went to sleep. Thinking about those times can still bring tears to my eyes.

Kak Long, Kak Ngah and Kak Mas were exemplary. They taught us by example. They all obtained scholarships to study in America, Australia and England respectively. I remember Kak Long never forgets birthdays and special occasions. She used to send cards and little presents by mail for birthdays and good luck cards prior to big exams. This taught me to always remember birthdays and special occasions. To always remember to celebrate special occasions and remind the people you love how much they are loved. And for this important lesson, I am truly grateful.

When Kak Long informed us 10 days ago that she had a tumor in her pituitary gland and needed a surgery to remove it, I was shocked and shaken. I cried and felt so scared. I realized that I have not been spending enough time with my Kak Long and I just wished that we stayed closer together. I have been taking our relationship for granted, thinking that she will always be there for me. It's really true how crisis and hurdles make you look back, think and reflect on things that go on with your life, make you appreciate what you have more.

Alhamdulillah, Kak Long's surgery went well last Tuesday and she is now in recovery. I have vowed to always remind her how much I love her and to try my level best to spend as much time as possible with her and my other sistas who are living in KL.

To Kak Long: I thank Allah for having you as my sister. You are so special and precious. You are such an inspiration to me. Thank you so much for everything that you are to me. I truly love you.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Awwww... sob sob.. am so touched dearest Ilah, thanks so much for this, and for your support, love, and kind words. love you too very much.. am thankful everyday that we've remained close as family and sisters through these years even after having our own families & job to juggle and take care of! you and all my sisters & bro are also inspiring to me, am proud of all of you - to see how you all have accomplished and excelled in your areas/biz - you kiddos down there in melaka make us (KLong, KNgah & KMas) proud! Of course am also proud of KNgah & KMas - they being superwoman themselves.. in fact i guess i am glad in some ways i had inspired all my sistas especially to do your best - and "beat the guys"!! And girls can be as good as guys! And Remember my adik2... 1. You can be whatever you want to be 2. Whatever you do, do your best 3. Never give up! 4. Remember I love you, and we have each other... oh oh.. don't get me started!!! Thanks again, love ya, K Long

ms hart said...

Dil, you gals are just admirable! Get well soon to your Kak Long, and to you my friend, my utmost appreciation for your help and kind concern during my most tested moments last week! Thank you for that Neng Yatimah moments too!;-) Love you!

Adillah A Nordin said...

KL,we must spend some time with others sistas doing girlie stuffs during ur "confinement" period la!! Take care..

Adillah A Nordin said...

Tati, Please don't mention it. I'm sooo glad that u r well and recovering. Alhamdulillah.. Memang macam Drama Minggu Ini la :)

A said...

It was so touching puan..

Adillah A Nordin said...

Thanks for dropping in Effy..

buttercup said...

Sob sob...sedih la baca. Especially the part when parents were in UK. I was 3 and can't remember much but you were 5!! (mimi's age!!) and u remembered! the things we had to go through on our own without parents, sedihnya...
Thank Bo, for reminding. And KL, you truly are special...Love u all...Muah*

Adillah A Nordin said...

Da, Somehow I can remember snippets of those times. One of the most vivid memories is Mak & Apak coming back & bringing us 2 huge teddy bears. Your was dark green & white. Mine was light blue & white. Do you remember the bears?

Unknown said...

Ilah.. now that you mentioned it, i do remember the bears! :)... remember also all the 'boria' baju mak jahit in uk for us... ha ha.. and the boria & togetherness tradition is carried on till now.. woo hoo...

Adillah A Nordin said...

KL, the baju boria is a tradition, you r right! Can still remember some of the baju2.. Also Mak used to jahit pinafores for us ingat tak? I remember me + Eda had this Orange Pinafore with pocket at the front ada bunga :)

buttercup said...

Of coz i remember the teddy bears and...the orange pinafores. Our baju were all one of a kind! Made in Endland uuuu.....