Friday, May 16, 2008

Remembering an old Friend

A schoolmate passed away 2 days ago. I was never close to her in school. And we haven't been in touch since we left Tunku Kurshiah College in 1986. We didn't go to the same university, we didn't attend each other's wedding, we didn't call each other when we gave birth to our children. But somehow, I feel a deep sense of sadness and loss when I heard the news. It's difficult to explain.

I want to remember my old friend Rosmaria Abdul Razak. We were classmates for 3 years, form 1 to 3. I frantically looked for all our old school pictures but I don't have any clear pictures of her. I felt so frustrated yesterday. I closed my eyes and clearly see a petite girl, so full of life, full of energy. Maria had a strong Negeri accent. I remember her in her hockey outfit with a hockey stick in hand. Maria played hockey for school & I think she even made it to the Negeri Sembilan State team at one time. She was in Red House. She used to wear her hair short with middle parting. She had a husky voice. She wore her cotton baju kurung with the sleeves folded up to her elbow. Maria laughed heartily. I remember Maria clearly in my mind.

But that was Maria 22 years ago. And now she is no more. Leaving a loving and grieving husband and 3 children, age 12, 10 and 8. Every time I imagine how they must now feel, my tears will start falling. For a husband, losing a life partner you have planned your future and life with. For the 3 beautiful children, losing a mother who would love them unconditionally and guide them as they grow up. No more hugs and kisses, the patient listening ear, the warmth and understanding, the shoulder to cry on.. It's just too painful to think about it. May Allah give them the strength and protection to move on.

Life is so short. Take time off work. Spend more time with your family. Tell them you love them every day. Hold them close to your heart. More hugs. More kisses. Every day is precious. Every day is a gift from God. Spend it well.

I just wish I had kept in touch with Maria all these years.

Semoga Allah menempatkan roh sahabatku Rosmaria di kalangan roh orang-orang yang beriman. Al-Fatihah.

6 comments:

Makbudak said...

I can't imagine the sadness and sorrow the kids and husband are feeling, but from the collections of thoughts and blog-entries of arwah's friends and relatives, I believe they will be strong, just like arwah, who was always strong-willed.

With a passing of a friend like this, I'm reminded of how life could be so short. We have to savor every moment especially with our loved ones and the people we grew up with. Let's just take time to check on each other every now and then..

Ha

Adillah A Nordin said...

Hello Ha,

In the every day rush to meet deadlines, we often take our loved ones for granted. Meaningful friendships developed in our bygone years are forgotten instead of nurtured. We must take stock of what is important in life & set priorities accordingly.

Thanks for dropping in, Ha. We must meet up every now & then..

Keep well,
Dilla

.nasyer. said...

am missing all of u as well
wish i was there
wish me luck on my driving test??
i so need it.
hehehe

<3

Carrotsusu said...

Puan.. saje saje singgah nak bitau.. esok ari isnin... hu hu...

Adillah A Nordin said...

Aida,

Tu lah... cepat sangatlah hari Isnin... tak tahu la kuat semangat ke tidak!!

Nurul,

Wish you All the Very Best in your Driving Test!

TC.

Carrotsusu said...

ahaks...